Dr. Josiah Young and Dr. Kristin Gunn are excited to bring this Sports Vision Clinic to the Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky area. Both doctors Young and Gunn have experience in competitive athletics and sports vision.
After finishing up four years of varsity baseball at Earlham College, Dr. Young received his doctorate and a simultaneous Master's degree studying the eye movements of athletes at The Ohio State University College of Optometry.
Dr. Gunn played volleyball locally at Milford High School, and she continues to play competitive volleyball after graduating from the Indiana University School of Optometry. After coming to work at Opticare, she has spent time as a doctor on the sidelines with UC Football. She has experience treating patients with concussions and is excited to now work in the area of performance vision.
What is performance vision?
In athletics as well as in certain professions, we use our eyes in intense situations that require highly coordinated eye movements and focus. Optimal performance requires optimal vision. We not only need to SEE well, but we must also make sure the visual system is functioning at its highest level.
How do we improve visual performance?
We start with 10 visual and sensorimotor tests to analyze the visual system. We use a national database to compare the results to other athletes in the same age, sport, and even position (from youth to professional to recreational and retired athletics). We then tailor a plan based on the athlete’s individual training needs to improve performance.
The performance enhancement plan may include a combination of computer-based home vision training, in-office doctor-directed training on the Senaptec Sensory Station (see video below), and real space vision training with sport-specific exercises using strobe goggles or other devices.
Performance Vision Enhancement Packages
- Elite Performance Package – Initial baseline performance vision evaluation, 3 months of unlimited home vision training on the Senaptec App, 9 in-office training sessions and 2 progress assessments to track performance goals. Includes 1 pair of Senaptec Strobe Eyewear and customized strobe training plan.
- Pro Performance Package – Initial baseline performance vision evaluation, 3 months of unlimited home vision training on the Senaptec App, 9 in-office training sessions and 2 progress assessments to track performance goals.
- Basic Performance Package – Initial baseline performance vision evaluation, 3 months of unlimited home vision training on the Senaptec App. Includes 1 progress assessment at the end of 3 months.
The Senaptec Strobe - A device that improves the neural connections between the eyes and the brain. This is done by removing visual information (like strobe lights) for the athlete while training. This forces the athlete to process visual information quicker and more efficiently thus improving reaction time.
Senaptec Strobe Eyewear
Advanced Quad Strobe Eyewear
Additional service options
- Baseline Sports Vision Evaluation
- Comprehensive Eye Exam
- Contact Lens Fitting and Evaluation for Sports
- Sports Frames from Under Amour (see video below)